Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Before and after frames. A great an inexpensive gift idea!

I'm going to start posting some of my projects on this blog. And what you are saying is - it's about time, right? I'm actually constantly working on projects of some sort, but all are in various stages of completion, and between knitting, taking care of dogs and maintaining this blog. . . well. . .


you know.

So here is the before and after!


Let me emphasize how easy this frame transformation was - so easy, you don't even need to see the steps! Here's what to do:
1) Paint the frame with FolkArt Azure Blue and allow to dry
2) Using the end of the same paintbrush, make random Calypso Sky dots all over the frame and allow to dry (practice dotting first on a paper towel so you get the hang of it)
3) Coat entire frame with Mod Podge (I used Gloss)
4) Apply Colorbok's Friendly Forest accents using craft glue! The whole line of Friendly Forest stuff is currently available at Michaels. It's very fun and colorful!

I didn't use an old frame - the one I used is from the wood section of a local craft store. It was relatively cheap. Add the paint and the accents and you aren't too bad for cash out of pocket. But here's a tip: If you have several old frames laying around, use one of them, even if it's plastic! Just be sure to spray primer before painting. Cheers!

3 comments:

Did you add another coat of mod podge over the stickers? This is cute.

Hi Tess! I actually didn't - just spray sealed it. It's hard to tell but these stickers had a little bit of dimension to them, and I don't Mod Podge back over stickers unless they are flat. Not sure why :D

OK, here's a question from a decoupage newbie: Why did you use craft glue to apply the stickers? Couldn't you have just used ModPodge? Thanks!

Post a Comment

I can't respond to every comment, but I read them all. Thank you so much for reading - I really appreciate you!