Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A wordle - and a solution for Mod Podge tackiness. Or stickiness if you like that term better.

If you haven't been to Wordle, you have to go there. Why? Because you can waste hours. Wow, that was embarrassing. I just told you that I wasted hours creating a blog Wordle. Awesome.

The real intention for this blog entry is to share with you a tip that I hope you value. Before I share this tip, I would like to thank (in addition to the Academy), my friends Patty and Holli, who have taught me everything I know about Mod Podge. Including this tip.

Problem: You've finished your Mod Podge project, it's dried, and it feels tacky. Sticky.

Solution: Purchase a clear acrylic sealer such as this one or this one. When you are done with your project, allow it to dry for time recommended (about 24 hours after the last coat). Spray a coat of sealer, allow to dry for 15 minutes, then spray another coat.

SPECIAL NOTE for furniture. I highly recommend Hard Coat Mod Podge. It's not tacky, because of the satin finish. It's basically a tougher Mod Podge, hence the slightly higher price. If you want a gloss finish, I suggest using the Hard Coat and then spraying a gloss sealer over it.

I hope this helps. Okay, back to creating another Wordle!

6 comments:

so, i'm decoupaging one of those little ikea drawer units (like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60073300), and using hard coat mod podge. if i use that, i don't have to seal it (unless i want it to be glossy), right? it'll be durable just the way it is? thanks!

Hey Meredith! Yep - You'll be totally fine. Good as gold!

Hi! I'm trying to build up a highly glossy finish on a wooden box by using Mod Podge Gloss.

The problems I've encountered are:
1. I get a lovely, super smooth finish by wet sanding, but the gloss disappears - is there any way to get the high shine back? I've polished with 1500 grit sand paper (because I read that steel wool causes tiny scratches).

2. To work around the above problem, and also to get rid of the tackiness, I followed your advise and sprayed Plasti-kote clear acrylic sealer on top. This got rid of the tackiness (and put the shine back), but after over a week, the finish(es) are still soft, i.e. if I lightly press the box with my nail, it will leave an indent.

Any tips? I will be trying the hard coat mod podge (although it only comes in satin), but wonder what I'm doing wrong with the current setup?

Many thanks

Hi Anonymous! Typically I recommend that you use #0000 steel wool. This is such a fine grit that it won't cause scratches. BUT you can still make a glossier finish without it. There are two products I recommend:
1) The Super Gloss Acrylic Sealer http://shop.plaidonline.com/mod-podge-acrylic-sealer-super-gloss-11-oz/92/1450/product.htm
2) The Super Gloss Liquid Finish: http://shop.plaidonline.com/mod-podge-super-gloss-8-oz/92/CS11297/product.htm

The difference between the two is that #2 is thicker and brush on.

Also, nail denting is normal with acrylic products. These are not resins, so they don't harden the way resins do. If you are looking for a super thick varnish coating that is hard, you'll need to use something like EnviroTex Lite. It's a two part resin and you'll have to mix it wearing gloves.

Hope this helps!

Hello there! (: I''m working on a foam "head" project it's coming along great! I just noticed that any little bumping into walls, doors and such leave unpleasant dent on the foam dome.. I was wondering if Mod Podge hard coat will form some what of an outer shell protecting it from and further damage.? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you for your time (:

-Eddie

Hi Eddie! Even the Hard Coat will remain flexible. You'd probably have to use a tough resin like EnviroTex Lite. But you have to drizzle that on so I'm not sure how that would work. I'd probably get recommendations at the hardware store.

Post a Comment

I can't respond to every comment, but I read them all. Thank you so much for reading - I really appreciate you!