Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Vintage kitchen tool shadow box.

I had a friend that loved to collect vintage kitchen tools, and her collection was super cool. She didn't want to use them, which I understood, because they were vintage and also they might have fallen apart in her cupcake batter. Man Podger David came up with a way to display vintage kitchen tools and I need to share it with my friend . . . I love this. Hang it on the wall or prop it on the counter, either way it looks great. I'll let David tell you how it's made.

--------------
OK, my grandmother (dad’s mom) was one of the most awesome women ever – and not much of a cook. But she LOVED donuts!

My mother is equally terrific and a great cook. And she makes delicious, homemade donuts. The two of them got along famously needless to say!

When my grandmother passed away I ended up (I really have no idea how) with some odds and ends from her kitchen that have been sitting around in a “I-don’t- know-what-to-do-with-this-but-I-can’t-throw-it-away” box in my garage. Do you have one of those?

Anyway, it dawned on me that I could make a little celebration of both of them their friendship and their love of donuts using a shadowbox, Mod Podge and a blown up recipe card. It was incredibly easy!
1. Shadow Box (which I really should have cleaned before I photographed it. Sheesh!)
2. Mod Podge and foam brush
3. Vintage Kitchen Utensils
4. Small pieces of scrap wood to use as spacers – painted white
5. Hot glue gun
6. Spray Paint

I decided to recreate my mom’s famous donut recipe as a background. You could easily take an old recipe card to Kinkos and have them blow it up for you. I created my own using a great, free font called Octin Vintage (available for free download from DaFont.com), sized it to fit the back of the shadow box and printed it out.

I spread Mod Podge on the backer board that came with the shadow box and laid the recipe card graphic down smoothing out the wrinkles (although a few wrinkles seemed OK to me on this project) and set it aside to dry.

I also gave the shadow box itself a quick coat of antique white spray paint.

I wanted the utensils to stand out a bit from the background – hence the small pieces of scrap wood. I painted them white so they would blend a little and then I used a glue gun to glue the scrap wood to the back of each utensil.

When the recipe card background had dried I trimmed the edges and I gave it a sealing coat of Mod Podge for a little extra shine. After playing around with what I wanted for the arrangement I hot glued the utensils into place and re-assembled the shadow box. And BAM a tribute to my donut loving forebears.

I left the glass out of the shadow box for these pictures because all I was getting was a reflection of me taking a picture.

Don't forget to visit David at his blog, Etsy, or on Facebook.

11 comments:

wonderful idea, i collect the red handled utensils as well... :)

This is so cool! We are getting ready to redecorate our dining room using apple green and red. Something like this would look awesome in there! Pinned :)

Very clever and cool!
Great Job, David!

Always looking for new ways to display my vintage kitchen utensils...so cute!

I absolutely love this!!! The red against the black and white typography are really awesome.

I'm sentimental so I love this! I think I will try it with some of my dad's tools. Great way to remember a loved one!

Pinning this right now, I have a ton of stuff from both of my Grandmas, can't wait to try this! Stop over for a visit sometime:)

Very cool! I have been thinking about doing something with my grandmother's vintage kitchen things- now I know what I want to do, this is great. - Thanks

Post a Comment

I can't respond to every comment, but I read them all. Thank you so much for reading - I really appreciate you!